BlueSun has an immediate need for a temporary Food Service Worker 1 at Oregon 4-H Center in Salem, OR.
The Oregon 4-H Center is a youth camp and conference facility approximately eight (8) miles from downtown Salem. It is a rural area and is not on public transportation lines. The 4-H Center offers year-round operations, with spring/fall outdoor school, summer camp, and other retreat and user group activities.
65% – Cooking:
- Typical tasks: prepares foods according to menus and recipes or verbal instructions given by supervisor or higher-level cook; gathers and combines ingredients required by standardized recipes; washes, slices, chops, grates, stirs, kneads, measures, mixes, and weighs food products;
- Cooks food by boiling, grilling, steaming, deep frying, roasting, or baking;
- Assists higher-level cook with breakfasts, lunches, or dinners by preparing various foods such as meats, potatoes, casseroles, vegetables, soups, salads, sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, and French toast;
- Prepares sack lunches; prepares desserts, such as cobbler, cakes from mixes, donuts, cookies, bread, custard, and gelatin;
- Uses commercial cooking equipment such as grills, steam-jacket kettles, slicers, mixers, and choppers;
- Turns on grills, ovens, warmers, and steamers;
- Prepares food for distribution to table or food service lines; arranges food in an attractive manner; keeps food adequately stocked in a buffet line;
- Communicates with guests about special diets and food ingredients when requested.
20% – Cleaning Functions:
- Typical tasks: puts food away in designated storage and marks containers; cleans stoves, grills, and countertops; always keeps work area in a sanitary condition;
- Cleaning and maintaining the dining area, including a coffee bar, tables, chairs, floors, salad bar, dish return area, or other; breaking down boxes for cardboard recycler;
- Taking garbage to the dumpster; performing other cleaning duties as assigned.
15% – Lead Work and Miscellaneous:
- Typical tasks: assigns duties and tasks to food service workers or others in preparing foods such as vegetables, soups, salads, sandwiches, and desserts;
- Receives and stores shipments in designated storage;
- Assists in kitchen cleanup procedures such as washing dishes, pots and pans, and cooking utensils, mopping floors, and washing walls;
- Assists higher-level cook by counting equipment and food items during inventory;
- On occasion, may individually prepare and cook up to three complete meals in a day (e.g., during the limited absence of a higher-level cook due to illness or vacation), using menus prepared ahead of time by a higher-level cook;
- Checks daily and records temperatures of the dishwasher, and refrigerator units;
- Responds to questions, compliments, or complaints concerning the food or service from customers/guests;
- Has regular contact with customers/guests while serving food and cleaning;
- Attends kitchen staff meetings when scheduled by the supervisor.
- One year of experience as a cook in a commercial food service facility; OR possession of a Certificate of Completion in culinary arts and/or Foods and Hospitality Service from a certified community college or technical school.
- A valid Food Handler’s card, or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- The position is in a rural youth camp kitchen.
- Typically, the schedule may be morning, afternoon, and/or evening shifts. May include weekend work as needed to meet the needs of customers. Includes long periods of standing; works with and around heat-producing equipment such as ovens, steam kettles, grills, stoves, dishwashers, hot water, proofer, or others; works with sharp or bladed equipment such as knives, tomato slicers, meat/cheese slicer, box cutters, or other.
- Lifts up to 50 pounds of weight.
- Regular in-person contact with customers, delivery drivers, and food suppliers to receive goods.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and other pre-employment screening.
Please send your resume to BlueSun for consideration.
BlueSun, Inc. is an OREGON FORWARD Employment Services Company. As such we give hiring priority to persons with a disability, but we help anyone who wants a job.
BlueSun, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. This means we do not discriminate in employment decisions or policies in violation of the law on the basis of any legally protected status, including but not limited to race, color, national origin, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identification, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.